It’s been a while since we looked at a 15-inch gaming laptop, but today we’re happy to review the new and improved Alienware M15 R7, which features Intel’s latest 12th Gen processors. This laptop has 64GB of 4800MHz DDR5 RAM, a 3070TI with a 140W TDP, a 360HZ 1080P monitor, and an Intel i7 12700H processor.
See our full video review above. Here are some video highlights and a quick summary.
In PCMark 10, the M15 R7 scored 7588, which is among the highest scores on the market and is excellent and lightning fast. It received a score of 1715 on single core and 13522 on GeekBench 5. On Cinebench R23 rendering test the i7 scored 15309. We did notice some thermal throttling when we put the CPU on stress test where the CPU reached 100c. Then it proceed it to throttle and the temps dropped down closer to 80 degrees.
The M15 R7 with a 3070 TI scored 11322 in 3DMark Time Spy in our graphics test. It scored 13356 in FireStrike Extreme and 6824 in the Port Royal ray-tracing test. These are fantastic results for a 3070ti. With real-time ray tracing, the M15 R7 averaged around 50-60 frames per second or more in games like Cyberpunk 2077.
[gallery size=”medium” link=”file” ids=”11854,11852,11856,11858,11841,11850″
The Alienware M15 R7 gaming laptop is reasonably priced, especially for an Alienware PC. In Canada, the base edition laptop costs around $2000. The one you see here is nearly maxed out, and we’re approaching $4000 in Canadian dollars. Given that gaming laptops are not cheap. Simply put, the higher the specification, the higher the price.
Alienware M15 R7
To summarize this Alienware laptop review, the M15 R7 is a daring new outing for Dell's otherworldly brand, showcasing the potential power of Intel's 12th generation CPUs with a spec list fit for a formidable gaming machine. And with that, the M15 R7 nails the essentials, making it an excellent choice for a gaming laptop that will last you for years.
- Amazing System performance thanks to Intel's 12th Gen CPU 12700H
- Great graphics performance for gaming or productivity
- Good build and finish quality
- Great RGB accent lighting especially on the rear and logo of the device
- Fast (360hz) refresh rate monitor for gaming which provides a bright image and excellent contrast
- The battery life is adequate: 2-3 hours of gaming and 6-7 hours of regular web browsing
- Thermal Throttling when pushed to the limits
- Limited I/O ports. Could add a few more USB's on the left hand side
- Loud fans when gaming up-to 55 decibels
- 720P webcam which has poor dynamic range
- Charger brick is not portable. Dell has the newer ultraportable charger but didn't include it with the M15 R7
- Depending on the model you choose cost can be an issue